The Relationships Australia South Australia’s Supporting Emotional Wellness in Aged Care (SEW) provides free individual and group counselling services for people living in residential aged care facilities (RACFs) across metropolitan Adelaide. This service allows residents of registered RACFs to access free mental health services available to those in the community.
Depression is not a normal part of ageing, but as we get older adjusting to change can increase stress levels and feelings of loneliness. There are many factors that can lead to feelings of depression or anxiety including:
- Feeling less in control or less confident
- Grief and loss
- Spending more time on your own
- Having a health problem
- Moving away from family or supports
- A change in living arrangements or being a new resident
- Having to give up driving or other activities you enjoy
- Family or relationship problems
About the Supporting Emotional Wellness service:
Several types of support may be helpful and are offered by trained health professionals. Talking about feelings can be enormously beneficial such as feelings of loss and grief, anger, anxiety and depression.
The program supports a health professional to visit the Residential Aged Care Facility to:
- Meet with the resident to talk about how they are going.
- Support the Resident to build skills to cope with change.
- Discuss ways to increase pleasures and enjoyment in life
- All conversations are kept private and confidential.
- Access to interpreting and cultural translation services, if needed, to use our service
The program also offers group activities to provide strategies to cope with the past and learn practice skills to better manage stress. These groups include:
- Reminiscence Therapy
- Therapeutic Drumming
- Welcome groups for people new to the residential aged care facility.
- Grief and Loss
- Education and information sessions for residents on shared issues of concern such as coping with grief and loss sleep issues.
Emotional wellness is important part of our general health. The supporting Emotional Wellness service is here to support residents of aged care facilities.
What you can expect:
The expected benefits of psychological services for RACF residents are improvements in mood, adjustment and functioning and increased ability to cope with life changes.
Supporting Emotional Wellness in Aged Care – Download a brochure HERE
The Supporting Emotional Wellness in Aged Care will be delivered by suitably qualified mental health clinicians such as: Psychologists, accredited mental health Social Workers, Occupational Therapists and Mental Health Nurses. Mental Health clinicians providing Supporting Emotional Wellness Services receive professional supervision and on-going training.
Other relevant services
- Relationship Australia South Australia Elder Relationship Services provide counselling and mediation support to assist older people and their families HERE
- Charter of Aged Care Rights: Visit the website HERE.
- National Dementia Helpline: Visit their website HERE or call 1800 100 500
- The Aged Rights Advocacy Service (ARAS) offers advocacy assistance to support older people to uphold their rights and their responsibilities: Visit their website HERE or call (08) 8232 5377 or 1800 700 600
- SA Elder Abuse Prevention, Adult Safeguarding Unit: Visit their website HERE or call 1800 372 310 (freecall).
- Aged Care Quality Standards: Visit the website HERE.
- Older Persons Mental Health Service (OPMHS): Visit their website HERE
- The Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service (DBMAS) is operated and administered by Dementia Support Australia (DSA): Visit their website HERE or call 1800 699 799.
Supporting Emotional Wellness in Aged Care service will run initially until June 2022.
- Eastern Metropolitan
- Western Metropolitan
- Northern Metropolitan
- Southern Metropolitan
The Supporting Emotional Wellness service is FREE to residents residing in a Residential Aged Care facility that has registered for this service. To access the service, simply talk to a staff member at your RACF and they will be able to help.
This is a free, independent, safe and confidential counselling service funded by Adelaide Primary Health Network through the Commonwealth Government’s Psychological Treatment Services for people with mental conditions in RACFs budget measure.
Call us on (08) 8419 2000 to talk with a SEW worker to find out if this service will suit your loved one, or fill in the Service Enquiry form below.