Helping parents stay focused on their children’s needs after separation.
How we can help
Separation and divorce is hard on everyone, but it’s particularly hard for kids. The Post Separation Cooperative Parenting program is available in the Riverland (Berri and outreach sites) and can assist you to:
- Manage relationships better after separation
- Stay focused on the needs of your children
This program is for separated parents who:
- are finding that issues to do with their ex-partner are shifting the focus away from parenting
- are finding it hard to deal with emotions such as anger, grief, disappointment and jealousy
- want support to be the best parent they can be
- want to avoid or get out of a cycle of blame and conflict with their ex-partner
It is suitable for parents who have just separated or for those who have been separated for some time.
Working it out for the kids workshops
These workshops are regularly offered and include video clips, discussion and activities. The main topics covered include:
- Looking after yourself
- How divorce and separation affect kids
- How to keep conflict away from kids
- Being the best parent you can be.
Before attending a workshop, you will have an appointment with one of our trained staff to talk about your situation and for you to have an opportunity to ask questions. You and your ex-partner will attend separate workshops.
Coaching and counselling
Many separated parents find coaching or counselling useful. Common issues include:
- Managing conflict better
- Improving communication
- Parenting skills
- Coping with emotions
- Living with your court orders
- Getting the best out of Family Dispute Resolution (mediation)
- Stepping away from violence.
Coaching can be provided one-on-one or in small groups.
Living with your court orders
For those who have court orders, this program can help you focus on making the orders work as well as possible for your children.
Safety and respect
Your safety is our priority. We know that some separated parents have been in violent and abusive relationships and may continue to feel threatened. We will address any concerns you have and provide support for managing the effects of violence.
If you have used violence or abuse against your ex-partner, we will support you in stepping away from violence and abuse and help you to be the best parent you can be.
This service is fully funded by the Australian Government, Department of Social Services.
Post Separation Cooperative Parenting is provided by Relationships Australia (SA) and is funded by the Australian Government under the Family Support Program.