Safe Start (formerly known as Western Child and Family Assessment Referral Network) is a support service for families with child/ren under the age of two years, or women who are pregnant.
We work with families using a strengths-based and restorative practice model to ensure family-led decision making and that we are working transparently and ethically. Our case managers provide tailored support to families in preparation for the birth of their child and families with a new baby or toddler. We collaborate with community-based family support services, government services and allied health services to coordinate responses between services and families. It is important to widen a caregiver’s circle of support when having a new baby so parents and their infant can thrive.
Safe Start provides culturally appropriate support for all families with a particular focus on Aboriginal families whose children are overrepresented in the child protection system. We are committed to working restoratively with Aboriginal families and their children and providing support in culturally responsive ways.
Safe Start was co-designed using Aboriginal principles where:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children are front and centre.
- Cultural strengths are reflected.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander’s right to self-determination is reflected.
- The truth of our shared histories, the hurts, the strengths, and the healing are acknowledged and reflected.
We aim to support you by:
- increasing social, health, development and wellbeing outcomes for infants, children and young people in South Australia
- improving family functioning and relationships
- connecting families and parents with targeted support in the community
- increasing children and families connection to their culture
- increasing parents’ capabilities to achieve their potential and self-determination.
- Addressing child protection concerns and enhancing protective attachments.
Our service involves:
- consultation, assessment, and case management
- working directly with infants, their siblings, and families
- developing and strengthening connections to community and culture
- referrals and information to support services.
Families with an infant and women who are pregnant and living in the western and inner north suburbs of Adelaide are referred to Safe Start by approved referrers of the Child and Family Support System, including the Department of Child Protection and the Women’s and Childrens hospital.
We are dedicated to making a difference, we will continue to accept community referrals for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families from families in the community who are concerned about another family member.
All referrals to Safe Start enquiries are made through the Women’s and Children Hospital.
If you would like any further information about this service, please click here to send us an email.
There is no cost for this service. It is by referral only.
Safe Start is an initiative of the South Australian Government. Safe Start has been commissioned to keep children safe in their families and prevent them needing to enter out-of-home care.