Family Forum: Altering an intervention order for son

Family Forum advises on altering an intervention order for a son, read on…


I have had an Intervention Order on my ex-partner for two years now. We have a beautiful son too that has been asking to see his dad, but he is on the order too. How can I get the order changed where he can have that contact?


In South Australia, Intervention Orders are issued for a wide range of reasons where there is a risk that, without the Order, abuse may occur. There is no requirement that an act of abuse has already occurred. The term “abuse” has a wide definition that extends beyond physical harm.

You should obtain legal advice in relation to your circumstances. The lawyer should be able to assist you to assess whether it is appropriate for there to be a variation in the Intervention Order and if such a variation may be possible.

It is important that you do not in any way breach an Intervention Order as significant consequences can apply. If you are unsure where to obtain legal advice, then you can contact the Legal Services Commission (phone 1300 366 424) or the Law Society of South Australia on (phone 08 8229 0200) who will be able to provide you with a list of names of some lawyers who may be able to assist you.

Submit Your Questions

Family Forum is a panel of general practitioners, medical specialists, lawyers, therapeutic and financial counsellors to discuss each letter before the appropriate professional answers it. The panel is appointed by Relationships Australia SA.

Have you got a question you’d like us to tackle?

Fill out the form below or send questions to Family Forum, The Advertiser, 31 Waymouth St, Adelaide 5000.

We treat communications in strict confidence except when the law demands otherwise, as in child abuse.