What is UNIDOS?
UNIDOS is a free, confidential program for people who are same sex attracted (SSA) and/or questioning their sexuality. Our program provides specialised services for people and community groups from culturally and linguistically diverse and/or multicultural backgrounds (CALD). We are inclusive of all cultures and respectful of different cultural values.
We are committed to assisting our members in establishing positive social contacts and being empowered by a sense of community, where they are able to share in similar experiences in a supportive and safe environment.
UNIDOS started because it recognised the need to address specific issues faced by CALD SSA communities and individuals. These issues are often very different from the mainstream population, where cultural issues in a SSA context are sometimes forgotten about, and where SSA issues can often clash with cultural values. UNIDOS hopes to bring together these individuals and communities and provide them with information, support and engagement; while also breaking down social barriers and isolation.
- One-to-one support through either phone or email contact, where you can ask questions and discuss issues relating to cultural identity and SSA.
- Information and educational sessions on positive health promotion.
- Social events, art projects and group activities that provide opportunities for members to make positive social contacts and connect with each other, in a fun and friendly environment.
- Workshops and discussion groups related to SSA, cultural values, relationships, homophobia, sexuality issues and health wellbeing.
- Training and raising awareness in the general community and with other service providers regarding SSA issues for people from multicultural backgrounds.
- Support in relation to the impact SSA may have on your relatives or friends, which is why UNIDOS also provides services for friends and family members.
Who can use UNIDOS?
UNIDOS is available to SSA and CALD individuals, as well as their friends and families. We can also provide services to other service providers and relevant professionals.
How can I seek help?
Call Relationships Australia (SA) on (08) 8245 8100 and ask to speak to the UNIDOS Coordinator or a PEACE Multicultural Services team member or email email@example.com.
Or, if you would prefer to speak to somebody in your own language, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.
- Say the name of your language and wait on the line
- When the interpreter comes on the line, ask them to call (08) 8245 8100
- Speak to us in your own language, with the help of an interpreter.
Join UNIDOS’s Facebook group for discussions, events and information.
Check out photos of our latest events and projects: