Monthly Survey: Would you like to participate in Relationships Australia’s quick, two-minute survey? Yes No thanks

Travel Fears

A reader worries about travelling alone for the first time in many years.


I made my home in Australia as a young woman and have led a happy life. But I have always had a yearning to go back to England for a holiday. I am now in my 70s and will have to do it soon or it will be too late. I am very fearful of travelling alone and my immediate worry is the airport machines for getting a boarding pass. I have had a look at them and a practice wasn’t very successful.


While travelling can be challenging, there are many ways you can be assisted to realise your dreams of a holiday to England.

A visit to a reputable travel agent is your best starting point. You may have friends who could recommend one they have used.

Travel agents can book not only flights, accommodation and travel while in another country but can arrange other services. A travel agent can organise transport from home to the airport, organise check-in, seat allocation, boarding passes, and arrange for you to be accompanied to departure lounges. Wheelchair support can be arranged if distances are problematic. On arrival at your destination you can be met as you come through customs and then transported by vehicle to your accommodation. At all steps of the journey a good agent will be able to ensure that the trip is as trouble-free as possible.

Alternatively there are tour operators who organise accompanied trips that would enable you to reach England with others, perhaps do some sightseeing in a group and then go off to do your own travel once you have gained a bit of confidence.

Submit Your Questions

Have you got a question you’d like us to tackle?

Fill out the form below or send questions to Family Forum, The Advertiser, 31 Waymouth St, Adelaide 5000.

We treat communications in strict confidence except when the law demands otherwise, as in child abuse.

Relationships Australia (SA) appoints panels of general practitioners, medical specialists, lawyers, therapeutic and financial counsellors to discuss each letter before the appropriate professional answers it.