Whether you are taking a break, detoxing or considering stopping altogether – giving up alcohol is not easy! Not only does our society encourage drinking – our bodies may crave it and our mind may be anxious trying to fill in the space.
But there are good reasons to persevere and it is well researched that even after 24 hours your body begins to repair and restore. After one month, you will experience improvements in your liver, your skin and your sleep patterns.
How to fill the space? Many suggest rewarding yourself and engaging in fun and positive activities in replace of alcohol.
Hello Sunday Morning have put together a great list of alternatives aka distractions:
- Fix your bike/car
- Go jogging/walking/bike riding
- Relax at the beach/park
- Try something new, like rock climbing or pottery
- Dance at home to your favourite tunes
- Get a massage/haircut/other spa treatment
Reward Yourself with Food!
- Eat fresh fruits
- Go for an ice-cream or other sweet treat
- Eat pizza, or something else you really like
- Enjoy a fresh juice or other favourite non-alcoholic drink
- Have dinner at a special place
Enjoy Your Hobbies!
- Reading a book
- Singing/listening to your favourite music/playing an instrument
- Drawing/painting/other artistic activity
- Reading something interesting online
- Going to an amusement park
Relax – Reward Yourself by Taking it Easy
- A cosy warm bath with candles and essential oils
- Sleep in
- Leave work early
- Enjoy an afternoon of quality time with someone special
- Curl up on the sofa with a tea and your favourite TV program
- Play your favourite video game
Reducing your alcohol consumption or giving up takes effort and everyone is different. Remember to go easy on yourself and if you can, talk about it with people close to you or you may find it easier to speak to a counsellor.