Support call

Support and social groups for parents with an only child.


Is there a support/social group for parents with an only child?


Raising children well can be very difficult without support and “time to breathe”. Historically, family or close neighbours would be involved in child care to give parents time to themselves, or to help with advice and support. As these historic connections are now sometimes lacking, support and social groups are often held at local community centres, and educational groups are also available.

There are some specific challenges in raising an only child and gaining help from someone in similar circumstances would certainly be useful. In addition, most groups will have members with different numbers of children so that all members can learn about the varieties of responses to issues with which families must deal.

Information about parenting groups in your community can be found on the Parenting SA website or by visiting or calling your local community centre or council.

Submit Your Questions

Have you got a question you’d like us to tackle?

Fill out the form below or send questions to Family Forum, The Advertiser, 31 Waymouth St, Adelaide 5000.

We treat communications in strict confidence except when the law demands otherwise, as in child abuse.

Relationships Australia SA appoints panels of general practitioners, medical specialists, lawyers, therapeutic and financial counsellors to discuss each letter before the appropriate professional answers it.

Professional counselling is available from Relationships Australia SA, (08) 8223 4566. Medicare-reimbursed counselling can also be obtained with a referral from a GP to a psychologist or mental health social worker.