Together 4 Kids provides therapeutic programs aimed at helping children process the uncertainty and distress of homelessness.
Therapeutic Group Program Manuals – Free to download
Together 4 Kids have developed a suite of Facilitator’s Manuals for our therapeutic group programs – available for free download here.
Upcoming Events and Training
T4K is offers several professional development courses. All are free for NAHA funded services. Non-NAHA workers are welcome, space permitting for $185 per person, per day. To enrol, please visit our training division HERE.
What we know
Together 4 Kids exists because children who are or have been homeless will often be feeling insecure, or even traumatised. Their routines and their relationships are likely to have been disrupted and they may have experienced multiple losses and stresses. Their parents are going through tough times, and at this time, often are not able to provide the emotional support they would like to.
These children can be assisted by caring, skilled staff to make sense of their sometimes complex experiences, understand and manage their feelings, develop friendships and feel safe.
Our starting point is the needs of each child, and the importance of responding to children as individuals in the context of their family.
What is Together 4 Kids?
Together 4 Kids is child focused and customised to support children’s mental health and development to help them manage transitions and make sense of their experiences.
We work directly with children and in collaboration with other homelessness service providers and parents. We view parents as allies in our work; supporting them to learn more about their child’s experiences and strengthen positive bonds with their children.
2016 Child Focussed Practice was a Finalist for Learning Program of the Year for Adult Learners’ Week.
2015 Infant Massage Program was winner of Play Your Part Awards for South Australia from NAPCAN.
2014 Together 4 Kids was winner of Play Your Part Awards for South Australia from NAPCAN.
2012 Together 4 Kids was a finalist in the ‘Excellence in the prevention of, or early intervention in, homelessness’ category as part of the inaugural National Homelessness Services Achievement Awards. Together 4 Kids produced Kamamirna Kakirra (Nanna’s Moon) an educational DVD depicting the importance of a connection to culture in the healing process for Aboriginal women and children who are homeless.
Who is eligible?
Homelessness or domestic violence services can refer a child to Together 4 Kids after completing an initial client assessment. A child’s referral eligibility requirements are:
- Aged 0-12 years
- Living with a parent who is homeless or in unstable accommodation
- Identified as in high need of support to process complex life experiences, significant loss or distress.
- The child may have complex needs requiring multiple service responses.
- They may have experienced significant disadvantage such as chronic homelessness.
- They may have developmental difficulties and may have had exposure to violence, abuse, or other trauma.
- Their family may need support to increase their child focus.
Together 4 Kids team
We are all trained in helping kids deal with tough situations, and we have plenty of options for kids of different ages. Find out more about the Together 4 Kids team.
Animal Assisted Therapy
Therapy dogs are specifically trained to interact safely with children in guided, therapeutic work. Children and young people can benefit greatly from animal assisted therapy as it helps them feel comfortable and safe, as well as helps them engage and participate in sessions.
The worker and therapy dog can meet with your child at home, at school or at a local venue. Therapeutic interventions incorporating Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT) have been shown to be particularly effective within the following areas:
- Social skill development
- Emotional identification and regulation difficulties
- Trauma related issues
- Sensory/physical needs
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Self-esteem and self-confidence
- Selective Mutism
- Phobia/fear of dogs
- About Together 4 Kids (Arabic)
- About Together 4 Kids (Chinese)
- About Together 4 Kids (Dari)
- About Together 4 Kids (Dinka)
- About Together 4 Kids (Farsi)
- About Together 4 Kids (Khmer)
- About Together 4 Kids (Pitjantjatjara)
- About Together 4 Kids (Spanish)
- About Together 4 Kids (Vietnamese)
- Information for Parents (Brochure)
- Information for Service Providers (Brochure)
- Therapeutic Service for Children with a Trained Therapy Dog (Information for Parents Brochure)
- Therapeutic Service for Children with a Trained Therapy Dog (Information for Service Providers Brochure)
- Together 4 Kids Professional Development Calendar
The Child Focused Support Service (Together 4 Kids) is provided by Relationships Australia South Australia Ltd and funded by the Government of South Australia, Department of Communities and Social Inclusion through the National Affordable Housing Agreement and National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness.