Free and independent counselling support for people engaging with or affected by the Disability Royal Commission.
This is a free, independent, safe and confidential counselling service funded by the Australian Government.
The Disability Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability (Disability Royal Commission) will run for three years until 2022.
State-Based Counselling Service
Hours: 9 am to 5 pm weekdays.
Location: This service is located at Relationships Australia SA, 49a Orsmond Street, Hindmarsh SA 5007
If you are unable to visit our office, we can come to you or offer counselling over the phone. Please discuss your needs when you book your appointment.
Call: 1800 577 571 (call during business hours to make an appointment or to leave a voicemail and we will return your call)
If you find it difficult to hear or speak, you can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS). Please phone 133 677.
If you require support in another language, you can use the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) free of charge by:
- Calling us and asking for an interpreter, or
- Calling TIS on 131 450 and asking to be connected to us on 1800 577 571
Who the service is for:
- people with disabilities who have experienced violence, abuse, neglect, exploitation
- parents, guardians, other family members or friends of a person with disabilities
- carers of a person with disabilities
- support workers for people with disabilities
What the service provides:
- information about the commission
- professional trauma-informed counselling
- information around the impacts of trauma, and skills and strategies to manage these
- information and help to access other services if required
- access to interpreting and cultural translation services, if needed, to use our service
What you can expect:
- our counsellors are here to listen and support you
- everyone’s experience of trauma is different, and everyone has different needs
- our counsellors focus on your needs
For more information about the Disability Royal Commission support services, please visit https://www.dss.gov.au/disability-and-carers/disability-royal-commission-support-services (external site).
National Counselling and Referral Service
For anyone across the country wishing to access services (not only based in South Australia), Blue Knot Foundation is providing free counselling support, please call them on 1800 421 468. Open 9 am to 6 pm weekdays or 9 am to 5 pm weekends AEDT.
- support for your emotional wellbeing
- support for making choices about telling your story
- information on other practical supports available to you.
- General Counselling and Advocacy Support fact sheet (external site)
- General Counselling and Advocacy Support fact sheet – Easy Read version (external site)
- General Counselling and Advocacy Support fact sheet – Translated versions (external site)
- General Counselling and Advocacy Support fact sheet – Auslan version (external site)
The Disability Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability (Disability Royal Commission) will run until December 2023.
Submission to the Royal Disability Commission remains open to the end of 2022. For support please contact our Counselling & Support Services For Disability Royal Commission on 1800 577 571 or email DRCCounsellingSA@rasa.org.au.
Free – there is not cost for this service.
Counselling and Support for People Affected by the Disability Royal Commission is funded by the Australian Government.