Family Forum – Intervention order cause for concern

Family Forum discusses what to do when you get served with an interim intervention order, read on…


I was served with an interim intervention order from my ex. I’m very concerned and am taking steps to stop it. I repeat, I have never once done anything in these orders. I myself was the victim of domestic violence but the police would not write a report when I reported it, they told me to just go home. I’m tough and laughed. I will defend myself against this smear against my name with my last breath. How can I make her stop the lies? And there is no evidence, simply because it just didn’t happen.


Generally, the purpose of an intervention order is to prohibit a person from behaving in a particular way to the person or people listed as the “protected persons” in the intervention order. Although the terms of intervention orders vary from person to person the intention is to prevent a person from committing an “act of abuse”. It does not need to be proven that any particular behaviour has already occurred, there only needs to be reasonable grounds to suspect that a person will behave in a particular manner if an intervention order is not made.

A lawyer should be able to give you advice as to the options available to you. Even if you do not agree with the terms of the intervention order you should ensure that you do not breach it intentionally or inadvertently. If you do, you can be arrested and charged with a criminal offence which can carry serious penalties.  You may also be held in custody whilst awaiting bail to be granted.

If police are not willing to make an application for an intervention order and you are concerned that your former partner will commit an act of abuse against you then you should also obtain legal advice as to the options available to you. Your lawyer will advise you as to whether you have sufficient grounds to apply for a private intervention order. There are strict time frames that apply to invention orders and it is essential that you obtain legal advice at the earliest opportunity, if you have not already done so.

If you feel that this situation is having a major effect on you, seeking support from family, friends and/or a professional counsellor may be useful to help you better manage the situation and life in general.

Submit Your Questions

Family Forum is a panel of general practitioners, medical specialists, lawyers, therapeutic and financial counsellors to discuss each letter before the appropriate professional answers it. The panel is appointed by Relationships Australia SA.

Have you got a question you’d like us to tackle?

Fill out the form below or send questions to Family Forum, The Advertiser, 31 Waymouth St, Adelaide 5000.

We treat communications in strict confidence except when the law demands otherwise, as in child abuse.