- This event has passed.
Making Step Families Work
Making step families work can be complex. Couples with children from previous relationships may need to develop strategies around communication, discipline, and on handling competing demands that are different from traditional families. This course can help.
The six-week course covers:
• The differences and uniqueness inherent in step families.
• The need to let go of the past in order to devise mutual expectations.
• Strategies for improving communication.
• Roles and challenges within the step family, including biological and step-parent roles.
• The experience of children and how they cope in step families.
• Strategies for nurturing the couple bond and development of conflict resolution skills.
• Charting of step family stages and the building of new step family traditions.
“We highly recommend the 6 week course ‘Making Step Families Work’ and have found it has helped us in many ways – particularly in our communication with each other. This has come about from gaining an understanding of the emotions experienced by the biological parent, step parent and the children in a blended family. We also realise that other couples/families have the same issues even though their situations may be a little different and we gained a lot from the group sharing their experiences – quite often with humour. We looked forward to attending each week.”
-Comment from a course participant
When: Thursdays, 10 August to 14 September 2017 (6 weeks)
Time: 6.00pm – 8.30pm
Cost$80 per person or $130 per couple (concession rates $50 per person or $100 per couple)
Places are limited and registration is essential. An assessment may be required before participating. To book, call Relationships Australia SA, Elizabeth on 8255 3323.