Concerns about abuse of an older person? Seek support.

Do you have any concerns about abuse of an older person

If you are concerned about an older person in your life suffering from abuse, it is important to talk to someone about it.

Depending on your position in their life, you could speak to;

  • the older person directly or a family member about your concerns
  • their medical or allied health professionals.

If you are distanced from the older person, you could ring an organisation. Of course, if you have an immediate concern about their wellbeing you should call 000 to get immediate police support for the individual.


Aged Rights Advocacy Services provides a free, confidential service to older South Australians experiencing or at risk of abuse from carers, family or friends.

Call: 1800 700 600 | Visit:

Legal Services Commission of South Australia provides free legal assistance for family law and family violence matters.

Call: 1300 366 424 | Visit:

Lifeline Australia provides support and referrals for those in crisis. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Call: 13 11 14 | Visit:

My Aged Care is the Australian Government’s online and phone service with information about aged care services.

Call: 1800 200 422 | Visit:

OPAN (Older Persons Advocacy Network)

Call: 1800 700 600 | Visit:

Relationships Australia South Australia provides Elder Relationship Services for counselling and mediation support of older people and their families.

Call: 1300 364 277 or 1800 182 325 (country callers) | Visit:

SA Elder Abuse Prevention Phone line

Call: 1800 372 310 | Visit:

Senior Rights Service is a community legal centre that protects the rights of older people. They provide telephone advice, advocacy, legal advice and educational services.

Call: 1800 424 079. | Visit:

For more information about recognising and preventing abuse of older people, visit: