What is Elm Place?
Elm Place offers services that respond to the needs of former child migrants, people affected by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and people whose lives have been affected by being in out-of-home care when they were children, and includes our Post Care Support Services, Find & Connect Support Service and Royal Commission Support Service.
Find & Connect offers support to Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants who were in care prior to 1989, including foster care, orphanage care, and other State or church based institutions.
We recognise that people have different experiences of their time in care and our service is respectful of people’s varying needs and issues.
Elm Place provides assistance with:
- Accessing your records
- Find & Connect Support Services
- Searching for and possibly reconnecting with family
- Access and information to other relevant community services and programs such as health services, employment services and education support
- Housing and financial management
- Counselling and therapeutic services
- Life skills
- Parenting skills development
- Identity and relationships
- A friendly, welcoming place to drop in for support.
Who can use our services?
You can request support for information, advocacy and referral if are aged over 18 years old and your personal history includes experiences:
- As a “Ward of the State”
- Under the “Guardianship of the Minister”
- In care under a care and protection order/secure custody order
- Placed in foster care
- In institutional care in
- Children’s homes
- In an orphanage.
On 16 November 2009 the Government of Australia made a formal apology to Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants.
Services are FREE.
We are open Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.
Drop in area
Our drop in area is a safe place for clients to use. It’s a space where you can relax, meet other people, have access to a computer or just read the paper.
The drop in area is open from Monday to Friday 10am – 4pm and is located at Elm Place, Ground Floor, 191 Flinders Street, Adelaide SA 5000.
Phone us on 08 8419 2042. You can also phone our services directly on the numbers below.
Post Care: 1800 188 118
Find & Connect: 1800 16 11 09
Royal Commission Support Service: 1800 998 187