The Consumer Voice Project raises community awareness about problem gambling.
If you or a family member has ever been affected by problem gambling, consider becoming a Consumer Voice Project speaker.
You will get accredited training, meet others affected by problem gambling, and have the chance to help tackle the issue across South Australia. Your unique experience is valuable. By sharing your story with others you increase community awareness of the issue and spread the word on how others can seek out support.
Becoming a speaker
As a Consumer Voice speaker you will:
- Be professionally trained by educators and counsellors
- Be supported to develop your own story about the effects of problem gambling
- Learn skills in presenting to a range of audiences
- Learn useful ways to deal with difficult questions.
You can also gain accredited training through the project as modules towards the Certificate IV in Community Services.
When you have finished the training, you will be supported to share your story by speaking or presenting to a variety of audiences in a range of group settings. This could include:
- Gambling Help service sector
- Hospitality workers, gaming venues
- Community agencies
- Counselling sessions of people affected by problem gambling
- Other interested community members.
You will be paid for your time for every engagement.
Speaking engagements are not compulsory – you do not have to accept them once you have been trained. In fact, for some, the training in itself may be a valuable outcome.
You can see what other speakers have said about the Consumer Voice Project.
Booking a speaker
Having a speaker talk at your function, event or gathering has many benefits including:
- Allowing the audience to walk in their shoes and gain a greater understanding of the devastating effects of problem gambling on individuals and their families
- Inspiring and giving hope to others grappling with their own gambling difficulties.
Our speakers can:
- Tailor their talk to a particular audience
- Speak for anywhere between 10 to 60 minutes dependent on the needs of the audience
- Answer questions and talk informally.
Our speakers can cover metropolitan speaking engagements and, subject to availability, the regional areas in South Australia. They are available for day and evening engagements.
A free service
There is no cost associated with booking a speaker as it is fully funded by the Gamblers Rehabilitation Fund.
To book or enquire about the Consumer Voice Project, you can contact our Consumer Voice Coordinator at Relationships Australia (SA) on 08 8245 8100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookings can be made either by phone or by downloading the Consumer Voice Project Booking Sheet.
Consumer Voice Project is provided by Relationships Australia South Australia Health Promotion Services and is funded through the Gamblers Rehabilitation Fund, a joint initiative of the Australian Hotels Association (SA Branch), Clubs SA, Adelaide Casino and the Government of South Australia.